Can't create a partition over 2TB

Lothar Braun mail at lobraun.de
Mon Oct 2 08:12:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Saturday 30 September 2006 05:46, jmyers at huskywatch.com wrote:
> Hey there, I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me with my
> problem. I have set up a raid array of 3 750GB drives. So the total size
> is 2250GB. When I try to create a partition to filll the drive fdisk only
> sees the first 6550ish blocks, where there should be over 270000
> blocks....  If i create the raid device with only 2 of the drives,
> totaling 1.5TB, then everthing works fine.
>
> I have tried doing this with Fedora Core 5 (Which I really wanted to get
> rid of and use Ubuntu, then tried Ubuntu 6.06, which I couldn't ge the
> driver working on, and 6.10 Beta, wich cal load the driver but I get the
> same problem. Is there some limit somewhere I'm not aware of?

You can't create such partitions with fdisk. Fdisk limits the size of it's
file systems to 2TB. If you need larger partitions, then you should
use "parted" to create it (note: if you created an partition that is larger
than 2TB and look at it with fdisk, it will appear as a slightly smaller
partition. So don't get confused about that :))

Regards,
Lothar