updates of enterprise edition

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Mon Oct 2 06:10:09 UTC 2006

On zo, 2006-10-01 at 17:12 +0200, Rejo Zenger wrote:

>  - There is every 6 months a new regular release, with 18 months of
>    support. Examples of these releases are Warty, Hoary, Dapper and the
>    upcoming Etch. When updating, you cannot skip releases, when updating
>    two releases, you need to update to the intermediate release before
>    updating to the second release.

Almost. It's Warty, Hoary, Breezy and Edgy. Dapper is an LTS release and
Etch is current Debian testing.

>  - There is sometimes a release with Long Time Support, with support for
>    60 months. The only release with LTS until is Dapper.

>  - Is there a schedule for "enterprise release" releases? Say, something
>    like "every third regular releases should or will be an enterprise
>    release"?

With enterprise release they mean LTS, so in the case of Dapper it's 3
to 5 years.

>  - If, for example, the fourth release after Dapper becomes the new
>    "enterprise release", what happens to the universe and multiverse
>    repositories of Dapper between Etch and the new enterprise release?
>    Are they still being maintained, or should I expect "the community"
>    to forget about the Dapper universe and multiverse repositories and
>    to work only on those repositories of new regular releases?

The future will show what happens.

>  - Say, I have a production environment with tens of company critical
>    servers running Dapper. Is my assumption correct that I should be
>    running Dapper until the next enterprise release has been released,
>    even if this takes 24 months?

Unless you want to upgrade every six months: yes.

> The reason for these questions is that if you are running a Debian
> stable release, the only way of running a packaged version of, eg, PHP5
> would be to use backports. In my experience, these backports are not
> always fully reliable to depend on, escpecially not when used in a
> production environment. Now I am looking for a platform which allows me
> to run newer versions of applications (PHP 5, MySQL 5, Nagios 2, etc) as
> request by customers, without having to rely on unreliable repositories,
> running unstable versions of distributions or building packages myself.
>
> It's not that I want to run anything a customer requests, but I would
> like to find the distribution and release cycle that makes me as
> flexible as possible with maintained packages, without to much
> trade-offs in terms of stability, reliabily, maintainability and
> security.

For new versions in already-released ubuntu releases you will also have
to count on backports, or in some cases updates.
--
Dennis K.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.