Ubuntu can't see new SATA drive

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Sun Oct 1 22:39:13 UTC 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 09:33 am, Craig Hagerman (craighagerman @
gmail.com) spake thusly:

> My motherboard is an Asus AV8 Delux. It has two SATA controllers. I
> have always used the upper ones (via?). I tried attaching the new
> drive to the lower (promise?) controler before using the jumpers to
> change the speed. Lo and behold, it worked! I was surprised (but
> happy).
>
> So, I *think* what was going on here is that one control can't handle
> SATA2 but the other can.

I've got the same mobo.  The last time I tried to get Ubuntu to
recognize drives in RAID 0 (on the Promise Controller) it wouidn't.
This was at least 6 months ago however and more recent kernels may have
fixed that.  But strangely Ubuntu has allways loaded the Promise & Via
SATA controllers at boot.   But back then It only recognized my RAID 0
configured drives as separate drives (even though the Promise drivers
were loaded).

Windows XP (with the Promise drivers) did recognize them as one drive.

After playing around with it for ages, I gave up and disabled RAID.
Besides, I've read any number of places that in most all cases, RAID
gives little advantage to a home user.

I may try it again though, for curiosity's sake.

--
        Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com