Strange CPU and proc behavior (gkrellm)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 1 14:45:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 15:01:49 +0100
R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > The tty2 entry is there because I was using it from ctrl-alt-F2, and
> > left it logged in. The :0 is my Gnome session, and I have
> > gnome-terminal open with two tabs currently ( pts/1, pts/2 )  Gkrellm
> > is showing 4 users, which ties in with the above.
>
> The tabs don't show up in 'who' for me (using konsole with gnome).

There was a discussion about this some months ago on this list - konsole
does not update utmp by default and needs an additional program to show in
w and who - I forget the name of the program, sorry :)

Various other terminals also don't show up, but in some cases it's
possible to change the ownership and permissions to make them register.
For instance, aterm shows by default because its permissions look like
this (after following the symlinks from /usr/bin/aterm)

$ ls -l /usr/bin/aterm-xterm
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root utmp 111304 2006-01-05 04:38 /usr/bin/aterm-xterm

but by default urxvt ( the utf-8 compatible version of rxvt) looks like

 $ ls -l /usr/bin/urxvt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1024036 2006-01-20 03:24 /usr/bin/urxvt

Notice that aterm is running set gid "utmp" , whereas urxvt is not.

$ sudo chown root:utmp /usr/bin/rxvt

$ sudo chmod g+s /usr/bin/urxvt

$ ls -l /usr/bin/urxvt

-rwxr-sr-x 1 root utmp 1024036 2006-01-20 03:24 /usr/bin/urxvt

Now urxvt updates like aterm. (same modes for utmp and ownership)

This trick doesn't work with konsole.

Peter