OpenOffice won't open

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 1 01:16:51 UTC 2006

Lorin Pino wrote:
>  From the start of the errors, is this a video driver problem?
>
> This is what I get when trying to start "openoffice" in a terminal:
>
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureSGIS

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15/+bug/47371

If you're running a card old enough to be bitten by this bug, I'd
suggest using the open source driver anyway.  It will give you full
OpenGL acceleration, tends to be a bit more stable than fglrx, and you
won't be at the mercy of a binary driver randomly dropping hardware support.

If you do switch drivers, be sure to "dpkg --purge xorg-driver-fglrx".
Having fglrx installed while running the ATI driver will confuse things
to no end, as fglrx replaces libGL with its own version when it's installed.

... Adam