printer

Bill Davidson harley7 at cogeco.ca
Thu Nov 30 20:21:35 UTC 2006

norman wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 16:19 +0000, norman wrote:
>>> If you don't need samba for anything else, and don't want to run an
>>> unnecessary service, just use ipp printing via cups. Check out this post:
>>>
>>> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1561331&postcount=2
>> Thank you, it looks good and I will give it a try.
>
> I tried this and got the following before I could complete the process:-
>
> norman at gruber:~$ #/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
> norman at gruber:~$ #Listen localhost:631
> norman at gruber:~$ Listen *:631
> bash: Listen: command not found

Those aren't commands to be run. They're lines that go in a config file.
Not clear in the forum post I know.

Most config files start with a comment with the name of the file and
it's full path on the first line. In this case:
#/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf

So create the file "/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf" (without quotes) and
add those lines to it. AFAIK that file is not included by default. Then
execute the command "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart" (without quotes).

HTH,
Bill