Cannot remove flash memory

Rutger van Haasteren rvhaasteren at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:16:39 UTC 2006

According to the eject manual, if a device is still mounted, it will be
unmounted before ejecting. So eject is more appropriate than unmount before
removing a usb disc, since you want to detach it from your system. Qoute
from man eject:

"Eject - eject removable media
If the device is currently mounted, it is unmounted before ejecting."

For myself, I never had problems with it. Maybe your permissions are not set
right in /etc/fstab?
People with an iPod can check that it doesn't stop recharging after umount,
but it does after an eject.

Cheers,

Rutger