Firewall and samba

Rutger van Haasteren rvhaasteren at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:57:46 UTC 2006

Someone pointed out that I might be able to connect from Machine B to
Machine A by using the IP adress. This is true. So my problem becomes:

When I configure my firewall I can only connect to the samba server by using
the ip adress. When I try to use the name (e.g. "Desktop-PC") the call is
blocked. Does this have something to do with broadcasts? And how do they
work?

TIA