Cannot remove flash memory

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Wed Nov 29 22:20:48 UTC 2006

Jaime Davila spake thusly on 11/29/2006 09:53 AM:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Whenever I need to remove flash memory (USB disk on key, SD card in
>> USB card reader, etc) I right click the desktop icon for the device,
>> and click "remove safely". At that point, the icon disappears, but the
>> LED on the USB unit turns on, and never turns off. So I cannot remove
>> the device. I must power the computer off in order to remove it. What
>> can I do to resolve this issue? I'm on Ubuntu 6.10 with the KDE
>> desktop.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Dotan Cohen
>
> I'm not quite sure what the light means, but I ignore it, and haven't
> had any problems whatsoever yet. I'm using gnome as opposed to kde, but
> I doubt that makes any difference. So, I just make sure the device is
> not mounted and then pull it off.

It means the same as the flashing light on the front of most PCs.  The
drive is in use. If you remove it when the light is on you may lose or
corrupt data.  The whole purpose of the light is to tell you that there
the memory is being written to or read from.

--
	Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com