Edgy upgrade problem

Akshay Lamba akshay at lambaweb.com
Wed Nov 29 03:36:44 UTC 2006

Bernard Peek wrote:
> I upgraded a machine that I had been using as a Samba domain controller
> on my home network. I had X installed too. Samba is still working but I
> can't get X to start at all, and as a relative newbie I know when I'm
> out of my depth. I've decided that the best solution is probably going
> to be to reinstall. What I'd like to be able to do is to move the Samba
> configuration onto a spare box.
>
> Can that be done, and if so which files do I need to copy?

/etc/samba/smb.conf

Also dont forget to backup your samba shares if there's data in it that
u'll like to keep before doing a fresh install.

Having said that, I don't think it's necessary for you to reinstall just
to get X working. Have you tried reconfiguring X? I'd suggest posting
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and any error messages you get when trying to
launch X and someone would be able to help you sort that out.