Upgrade form Dapper to Edgy Eft

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 14:04:16 UTC 2006

Hi

> > I *think* this is an occasion where brute force tends to win,
> > Richard.
> >
> > # dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%
> > #3a7.1.1ubuntu6_i386.deb

Well, after much fiddling around I seem to have a working KDE 3.5.5
desktop with all of the applications that I need.  One of the few
problems I have is that the latest version of Audacity that I got
hold of with 'apt-get upgrade' doesn't have any menus on the toolbar
so that I can use it.  I suppose the package will update itself soon.
I notice that doing anything with Ubuntu/Kubuntu is a lot easier than
fighting Debian unstable or testing and most times things work in the
way that they should.  I don't have to suffer from a headache most
hours of the day whilst trying to work out what to do next.

The one annoying problem that I do have is that I can't get
gtk-engines-eazel to install.......

# apt-get install gtk-engines-eazel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
  gtk-engines-eazel
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/57.4kB of archives.
After unpacking 455kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package gtk-engines-eazel.
(Reading database ... 248810 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking gtk-engines-eazel
(from .../gtk-engines-eazel_0.3-5.1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gtk-engines-eazel (0.3-5.1) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
format error
dpkg: error processing gtk-engines-eazel (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 gtk-engines-eazel

Tried to repeat this with Synaptic and Adept and the same thing
happens.  Dependencies would seem to be okay and so it should
install.  Doing 'apt-get remove' sorts out everything and apt-get
works once again.

Anyone know how I might be able to get gtk-engines-eazel to install
properly ?  Its not greatly important but it would be nice to fix it.

Cheers

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk