remote desktop

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 28 08:40:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:50:23 -0500
"beinan li" <li.beinan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just realized that I used the "inet addr:" under the ifconfig ppp0,
> is this correct? Sorry for the newbie question.

It isn't quite clear to me what you are doing here :-)

Are you connecting from outside the LAN, or from another machine on the
LAN? IF the latter, then I expect your local IP for the Ubuntu box  would
be the one shown by " ifconfig eth0"  ( or eth1 , or possibly if you are
using wireless, whatever the interface for your wireless card is). If you
are connecting from the Internet then possibly the ppp0 interface is
correct, assuming that you have a direct ppp connection from the Ubuntu
box to your ISP .

As for the port number, it *could* be 5901 - it rather depends on whether
you are connecting to display :0 or display :1 - but all this is discussed
in the URLs I suggested in my earlier post.

Peter