Making Firefox 2 default browser in Dapper

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 27 15:34:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:36:13 +1000
Nikolai Razouvayev <nikolai at razouvayev.com> wrote:

> I installed Firefox 2 on Dapper and it works as a default browser in all
> respects except when I'm trying to open an html page or a saved link
> locally, Firefox 1.5 starts instead. How do I make Firefox 2 start on
> these actions rather than Firefox 1.5? I tried changing it through
> Preferred Applications by typing in the Command field
> /opt/firefox/firefox %s (this is where I installed firefox 2) but it
> doesn't work.

/usr/bin/firefox is in your PATH variable, so the FF 1.5 will be called if
"firefox" is invoked without a path , or if /usr/bin/firefox is invoked.
You might also check what update-alternatives has as " x-www-browser"

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

I think you will need a symlink to /opt/firefox/firefox - there is a wiki
howto about this at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

which might help.

Peter