sources management

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Nov 27 05:56:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 18:19 -0500, Beinan Li wrote:
> So you mean
>
> Ubuntu's main, restricted, universe
> and multiverse
>
> should be always on the list even when
> the comments in the default sources.list indicate
> that things like multiverse aren't that stable?

Well, no. I mean that if you need stuff from those repositories then
enable them by all means and keep them enabled. This will do no harm.

When you upgrade to a new distribution release, they /should/ do no
harm, but they are less well tested and the more stuff you have
installed the more complicated are the dependencies. I leave them
enabled and it never hurt me, and I think most people do the same, but
your mileage may vary. Certainly upgrades go smoothest when the user
only needs "main".

In contrast, 3rd-party repos /must/ be disabled prior to upgrading.