Edgy LiveCD X resolution and GParted freeze.

The Joker thejoker at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 27 01:02:52 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I tried to upgrade from Dapper to Edgy last weekend, but the LiveCD
seems to have an issue with my graphics card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro).

The first time I booted from the CD, everything worked fine. Screen
resolution was 1024x768, which was fine for what I wanted. I attempted
to install an upgrade to Edy from the desktop icon, but the installation
program froze on Step 5 of 6  - Manual partitioning. The GParted window
started to load, but then the whole system crashed.

I rebooted the PC using the live CD again, but from that point on, the X
     server resolution was only 640x480, and could no be changed. No
other resolutions were available. I reconfigured the X server and
everything worked out, but I still could manually partition my drives.

So, two questions:

1) Why is the Live CD no longer allowing me to change the resolution to
anything other than 640x480 without reconfiguring the X Server?

2) Can I install an Edgy upgrade using manual partitioning? Has anyone
found a way to fix this issue?

Regards,

--
The Joker

No sense being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway.
(Get Witty Auto-Generated Signatures from http://SmartBee.org)