connecting to home network

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Sun Nov 26 23:11:27 UTC 2006

KepalaLinux said the following on 11/26/2006 12:20 PM:
> Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 07:31 -0500, KepalaLinux wrote:
>>

>>> I have a home network (workgroup creatively called "home"). I have an
>>> SME server (called "nameserver") with an HP 1200 series LaserJet printer
>>> attached to it.  How do I do the following when I'm wireless ...
>>> 1. print to the server?
>>> 2. Get at the network shares on the server?
>>>
>>> I tried Places>Connect to Server but am unsure what to enter in the
>>> settings. Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Can't you go to PLACES and then NETWORK SERVERS and then HOME?
>> Printing should be as easy as going to SYSTEM and then ADMINISTRATION
>> and then PRINTERS then PRINTER --> ADD PRINTER and then select NETWORK
>> PRINTER.... maybe?
>>

> I go to Places>Network Servers. I then see the Windows Network icon. I
> click on that and see the Home icon. I click on the Home icon and get an
> error message: The contents of this folder could not be displayed.
> Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: home". Do
> you have any ideas why? I can easily get into the folder with my Windows
> 2000 system.
>
> Printer... I went to System>Admin>Printing. The Printers dialog box
> opens up with the HP LaserJet 1200 listed as one of the printers. I
> tried to install it. I went into the Properties/Connection tab and don't
> know if I should be using the CUPS or the Windows SMB connection. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate it very much. As you can tell,
> I'm new to Linux Ubuntu

I think Linux uses SMB client sofware to connect to Windows shares.  I
always edit /etc/samba/smb.conf by default on a new installation.  I at
least change the following settings:

   workgroup = MyWindowsWorkgroupName, check properties of My Computer
->Name on windows

   encrypt passwords = true or false, depending on your server settings.
          I think windows defaults to true

If you do not use password access, your shares on Windows must be at
least publicly readable.  I think printer shares are printable by default.

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
Charlottesville, Virginia