Webmin on Dapper\Edgy

John K Masters johnmasters at oxtedonline.co.uk
Sun Nov 26 19:37:43 UTC 2006

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 16:23 +0000, GyroTech wrote:
>
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-September/020471.html>
>>>  "And I was really hoping no one would bring up webmin. It's a
>>> piece of software so horrifyingly vile that we want absolutely
>>> _nothing_ to do with it, not even carry it in the Ubuntu archive.
>>> The entirety of the ubuntu-server team had a small celebration
>>> the day that package was killed."
>>
>> Ouch!! That's pretty damning... I don't suppose they know of
>> another easy-to-use single point remote interface to mess around
>> with Linux administration do they??

There are security issues with Webmin as there are with ANY software.
However, given a few basic rules, it is no more insecure than Apache or
Bind. However, if you are competent enough to secure Webmin then you do
not need it.

I found it a great tool for learning. Got a VPS at $10 a month and set
up my own nameserver, mailserver etc., learning as I went along. It's
different from Plesk, CPanel and the other stuff in that you need a
basic understanding of how the particular piece of software you are
configuring works.

Don't use it anymore but I can think of situations where I might.

--
John K Masters - User #417400 in the Linux Counter http://counter.li.org/