converting to RAID etc

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Sat Nov 25 12:23:38 UTC 2006

Em Saturday 25 November 2006 07:53, ruscook escreveu:
> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 20:48 -0200, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
>

> > Question: I didn't get the part if you are installing RAID/LVM in a new
> > installation then cp'ing your *data*, or are migrating the full system to
> > set of HDs with RAID/LVM. The second is more complicated, of course.
> >

> I'm going to be doing the latter shortly.
> I have a 200GB HDD as HDA with boot and root partitions.
> I have added 2 x 80GB HDDs as HDB and HDC.
> I have partitioned HDB and HDC the same and now need to :
> a) create RAID 1 partitions of each partition
> b) copy root and boot from HDA to the md0 and md1 on the RAID set
> c) edit grub confib on md1 (boot)
> d) reinstall grub so it use md1 not /dev/hda2 (not sure about this)
> e) reboot and hope like hell :-)

I would change step d.

It may very well work, but I prefer to have grub simply hd[bc] aware.

The trick is to install grub in each HD of the array, as if it was the only
one. You don't need to remove/swap HD order to do this. There are plenty
tutorials through google, if you ask him about raid and grub. <wink>

> I will be using the s/w raid how to to try and understand the steps in
> each task..

Yeah, you should read it all :)

> Have I forgotten or got any major errors here?
>
> Here's my fdisk output (before I create the RAID sets)

haven't checked, but to be sure both are the same, the best is to use sfdisk
(read the man).

# sfdisk -d /devhdb | /dev/hdc

This dumps the partitions information (not the partitions!) from hdb to hdc.
As I stated before, it is safer when both have the same geometry.