Java JVM: GNU libgcj versus Sun

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 10:00:28 UTC 2006

On 11/25/06, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 07:08 +0100, Adriano Varoli Piazza wrote:
> > Second news item as of today.
>
> Yes, it talks about GPL'ing Java. I know _that, how couldn't I? ;)

By not following planets and slashdot? I know of people who don't,
even in "our sphere".

> What I meant was I haven't seen an official statement by Ubuntu (or
> other distros) that they will "take the Offical JVM as the default one
> and work with sun to improve it", which was that question of the guy I
> answered.

I haven't read anything either, but I doubt they would do otherwise...
It's just a matter of time, but why double the efforts if it's already
GPL'd and there are no comparable alternatives? Are there? I don't
know about the level of quality in Blackdown or gcj compared to the
official sun javac.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza