converting to RAID etc

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Fri Nov 24 22:48:12 UTC 2006

Em Friday 24 November 2006 17:07, John escreveu:
> Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > Em Friday 24 November 2006 11:17, John escreveu:
> >
> >> Gary Jarrel wrote:
> >>
> [snip]
>
> OK, so use RAID across the whole disk - seems logical, I suppose.
>
> Now back to the original question.

Sorry I missed that.

> Which files store the RAID and LVM configuration data so that I can
> ensure that they are not overwritten when I copy the rest of my server
> from a flat disk onto the RAID/LVM system?

This information is stored mostly within the "partition" schemes. This makes
the system more prone to auto-detection.

Some configs are stored in /etc/mdadm and /etc/lvm, but in any case, when you
add a new HD already setup for RAID and/or LVM to your
non-RAID/non-LVMsystem, everything should be detected at boot time.

For LVM you should begin with pvscan, vgscan, and lvscan.

Question: I didn't get the part if you are installing RAID/LVM in a new
installation then cp'ing your *data*, or are migrating the full system to a
set of HDs with RAID/LVM. The second is more complicated, of course.

regards
FF