converting to RAID etc

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Fri Nov 24 16:40:19 UTC 2006

Em Friday 24 November 2006 11:17, John escreveu:
> Gary Jarrel wrote:
> > Are you trying to RAID the root partition as wall?
> >
> Probably not; I haven't yet installed the disks and set up RAID but am
> trying to find the best way forward to keep my server down for the
> shortest time. I guess it doesn't make sense (or won't boot) if the root
> partition is on RAID and similarly, /tmp, /var/log and /var/spool.

Please reconsider. One of the main advantages of RAID is having a full mirror
of your system in case of HD failure. In such case, you should have minimal
recovery time (just reboot).

Of course, you should have twin HDs so you can mirror everything, so that you
don't loose unpartitioned space or performance.

Setting up root RAID is well documented, and should not be a problem if you
are doing a full install (from alterntate CD in case of ubuntu), since debian
installer fully supports it and takes care of initial ram disk configuration.

regards
FF