LANG=en_US.UTF_8

Bill Marcum bmarcum at iglou.com
Fri Nov 24 09:21:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:52:10 -0500, Gerald Drouillard
  <gerrylist at drouillard.ca> wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bug or not.
>
> The above default LANG setting seems cause mc via putty to display the
> box characters in weird characters.  It seems like Ubuntu ignores
> .profile in the users directory and the only option is to set
> /etc/default/locale
> LANG="en_US"
> and not
> LANG="en_US.UTF_8"

Or tell putty to use UTF-8.  I don't have access to the Windows version of
putty at the moment, but on the Linux version, you select the character
set under "Window: Translation".

--
I worked in a health food store once.  A guy came in and asked me,
"If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?"