Fwd: No DRI in Kubuntu 6.10

Vincente Aggrippino vaggrippino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 03:59:05 UTC 2006

I have Kubuntu 6.10 loaded on an HP/Compaq Presario 2240 laptop.  It has an
"Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device".  It seems to be working okay
for almost anything, but the DRI module isn't loaded.  I discovered the
problem when I tried to run Google Earth.

I think it's using the right video driver: i810.  I don't know how to get or
install the DRI module.  I've been to the Intel site and the Wiki at
dri.freedesktop.org, but I can't seem to find any clear instructions to do
what I want to do.

I don't mind compiling from source, if I need to, but I would naturally
prefer to load something through apt-get.

Can anyone point me toward a resource that would help me understand and
solve this problem?

Thank you,
    Vince Aggrippino