Getting rid of the startup splash screen (Edgy)

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Nov 21 21:29:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 12:34 -0800, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Never understood the package is needed once for upgrade.  I used to
> upgrade Debian systems fine without a super metapackage like
> ?ubuntu-desktop.
>
> Almost tempted to try upgrading to next major release without
> installing
> the package.

Read the list archives (mostly of sounder and -dev I think) where it is
discussed how that never really worked at a level required by Ubuntu's
target users. Matt Zimmerman has a great deal to say about this.

Debian admins are a very different breed, and there never was a Debian
Standard System, everyone pulled in what he/she needed. It is different
in Ubuntu