PATH ~/bin under gnome

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 21 09:28:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:45:40 -0500
"Todd Slater" <dontodd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/06, rodrigochinaski <rodrigo.chinaski at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings...
> >
> > I would like to add my ~/bin in the PATH. I already uncommented the
> > following lines on my ~/.bash_profile, but it only works on the console,
> > not on the gnome environment.
> >

> > # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
> > if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
> >     PATH="${PATH}":~/bin
> > fi
> >
> > What's the "cleanest" way to do this?
>
> Just add that to the end of your ~/.bashrc file. You'll probably have
> to log out and back in for it to take effect.

No. Gnome doesn't read ~/.bashrc - it only applies to the console
or terminal emulators.

I think the file to use would be ~/.gnomerc , which doesn't exist by
default, but is executed if present when you log in to GNOME.

Edit: Just tried it and it works as I suggested . An Xdialog script in
~/bin "works" with it, and so does ~/bin/mailspeak  ;) -

#!/bin/bash
# "Just for fun"
echo " `echo $USER`. you have mail" | festival --tts

Peter