ClamAv: is anyone paying attention?

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 21 07:55:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 06:54 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-20-11 at 17:09 -0300, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
>
> > > What do you think a /specifically Linux/ anti-virus program should actually
> > > *do* ? It's an interesting question...
>

> > Filter on the known Linux virus, and OO macros.
>

> So....
>
> It should do absolutely nothing?  Cool!
>
> Here's my anti-virus program written custom for you:
>

>         #include <stdio.h>
>         int main(int argc, char** argv)
>         {
>             printf("System scanned.  No viruses detected.  Thank you
>         for using MichaelCorp Linux Virus Scanner.\n");
>         }
>

> I think at some point you're going to have to start listening to what
> people tell you: there are, currently, zero Linux viruses.  Demanding
> that a program scan for Linux viruses is like demanding that it scan
> for WMDs in Iraq: pointless.

ah, but when did commonsense have anything to do with anything?

Actually, if Linux gets VERY popular on the desktop we will have a rash
of completely clueless admins (like the early paper MSCEs when it first
came out). With no real world experience these guys (collective noun)
WILL leave holes in systems so there will be some viruses that get
through on these systems. Companies will then blame Linux not their
clueless admins as that is likely to be more face saving. Obviously not
many will get through because of all the reasons stated here ad
nauseum :-). Then eventually there'll be a backlash against uncertified
admins and the industry will move forward again.... Can't wait ;-)

In the meantime we all accept that only programs with root privileges
can do real damage, so why not just explain that chkrootkit and similar
tools ARE the Linux based virus scanners given the architectural
differences between Linux and Windows. And you still need ClamAV to scan
any Windows machines that you have around on the network access files
from the linux box. You can point out the benefits of Linux being able
to be more secure, check itself, and windows!!!!

Kind Regards Russell
www.windsorcycles.com.au
sales at windsorcycles.com.au
ph. 02 4577 3209