motherboard

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 19:17:42 UTC 2006

I just refurbished my first batch of 90 surplus computers from one
of the national laboratories, and donated them to schools.

It's amazing what they don't want anymore.
Best box of the lot was either the 3.4 GHz P4 w/ 1GB ram,
or the dual processor 2.4 GHz Xeons w/ 2GB ram.

I installed the same hard drive Edubuntu Dapper image on all of them.
Try that with Windows.

Did not find a single motherboard that did not work, unless it was completely
dead and the bios would not even come up.  Mostly Dells, a few Compaqs,
and Gateways.

Did find a few graphics cards that weren't supported.

Just pick something you like for a price you can afford.

When building a new system I always check the latest advice at:
http://cr.yp.to/hardware/advice.html

On 11/20/06, Norman Silverstone <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> I am planning a new PC and I am anxious that the motherboard should be
> suitable for Dapper. I have looked at the details of some of the Asus
> boards which appear to be OK but I would welcome advice from those who
> know.
>
> Norman

Drew Einhorn