ClamAv: is anyone paying attention?

Edward Craig epcraig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 17:27:21 UTC 2006

So far, there have been exactly zero Linux viruses, perhaps three
worms, none of these able to infect Ubuntu.
Sorry, but so far nobody has developed adware or spyware for any Linux, either.
I suppose somebody could be developing any or all of these, and it
might be a cool thing as a proof of concept, but nobody's found any
way to MAKE MONEY FAST! by hostile cracking of Linux. Yet.
Part of the problem is that no GNU/Linux developer has been offered
any incentive to develop any of these. The other part is all of these
developers use this platform themselves, and some influential
developers are downright paranoid about what they'll allow their
computer to do, especially at the behest of unknown code.
It's not that there can be no Linux viruses, but nobody's seen one.
Really, nobody's yet figured out why to write one, but it took a while
to figure out a way to make viruses profitable in the fist place, and
it took criminal ignorance on Micosoft's part to make viruses, or
malware in general, possible.
But ClamAV is necessary for scanning any email you send or relay to
Windows boxes (as Google recently found reason to notice).

On 11/20/06, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
> On Monday 20 November 2006 11:25, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>  from Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net> who wrote:
>
> > > I'm asking, because I have a potential user who wont accept an
> > > installation without anti-virus.
>
> > ClamAV or a linux version of one of the commercial AV products could
> > protect him from feeling bad.
>
> Once again, do these filter on _Linux_ virus ?
>
> I have to know, because if not and something should happen virus-like, its my
> bollocks on the block......
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.
> --
>                    One way to make your old car run better
>                    is to look up the price of a new model.
>
>                    -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Edward P. Craig
"Think this through with me. Let me know your mind"      Hunter/Garcia