ClamAv: is anyone paying attention?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Nov 20 14:25:51 UTC 2006

"Renaud (Ron) Olgiati" <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 18 November 2006 18:19, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>  from Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> who wrote:
>
>> Just to make one thing clear: ClamAv is there to enable a linux mail
>> server to protect Windows users from Windows viruses.
>>
>> AFAIK all GNU/Linux viruses were proof-of-concept and none is in the
>> wild. Yes, theoretically GNU/Linux is vulnerable and diligence should be
>> used. But GNU/Linux viruses are not the reason for ClamAvs existence or
>> use.
>
> Is there, out in the wide open world, an anti virus program for Linux
> viruses (virii ?) ?

There are root kit hunters (e.g. chkrootkit, rkhunter),
system security checkers  (e.g.  checksecurity, tiger),
data integrity checkers like (e.g. samhain, tripwire),
intrusion detection systems (e.g. aide, snort) and similar more general
security tools.

> I'm asking, because I have a potential user who wont accept an
> installation without anti-virus.

ClamAV or a linux version of one of the commercial AV products could
protect him from feeling bad.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>