Getting rid of the startup splash screen (Edgy)

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 23:20:42 UTC 2006

sdavmor wrote:
> I'd like to get rid of the graphic "Ubuntu" spash screen on boot
> so I can see all the drivers and services loading as a laundry
> list, just like on my 7 year old Red Hat.  Where do I go to fix
> this?
I suppose your referring to the graphical boot?

If your using Dapper, edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and remove
"splash" and "quiet".

If your using Edgy, insert a # just before the splash.  I have included
a sample of my menu.lst file:

title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
root        (hd0,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic
root=UUID=3830dc6c-4b68-446c-b2ab-44a31b051c63 ro
#splash
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
savedefault
boot

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan