subject: Re: Giving up on Edgy

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Sun Nov 19 16:03:53 UTC 2006

Norman Silverstone wrote:

>> One more will do it!  I'm going back to Dapper.  And if I have the
>> same
>> problems with Edgy+1, then it's: "Goodbye, Ubuntu".
>
> I cannot understand this apparent need to use something because it is
> new and then, if it is not what is wanted, condemn all other versions.
> Dapper does all I want and, until I am reliably informed that the latest
> version is OK, I will not change.

After working for a day on it, I gave up on getting Dapper to work
properly, and did a fall-back. It wasn't a case of "latest and
greatest", it was a case of getting very dated. As to condemning the new
version, I don't think it unreasonable to expect a new release to have
*LINUX* running correctly (forget the applications). It's Linux that
regularly fails to boot, that can't get a standard sound system to work,
that (I can give a longer list if desired). Somehow, I expect a Linux
distribution advertised as ready to release and install to have a
working version of Linux. Maybe that's an unreasonable expectation, but
call me unreasonable - I do expect it.