Linux and Open Source... What is still missing?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:26:13 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> YAGNESH N DESAI wrote:
>

> > If I list what ubuntu is missing from developer's viewpoint then
> > first would be latest GCC compiler out of box ( forget the IDE part. )
>
> It's an argument that will probably last a lifetime (at least Ubuntu's).
> The average user _doesn't_ need a compiler - you don't get one with
> Windows.  A developer isn't an average user.  Perhaps the simplest fix
> might be to change the package name "build-essential" to "compile-tools"
> >
> > I am not a developer but when all the software are available as
> > source one would always ask for GCC 3.x compiler.
>
> All the software most users need is already available as a binary package.

cbell at circe:~$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)

cbell at circe:~$

What am I missing?  This is even newer than 3.x, and no, a compiler
should not be installed out of the box (IMO).  An idea to include
build-essential in the default install was proposed by Matt Zimmerman
on ubuntu-devel.  I'm not sure where that discussion went, but I'm
hopeful it didn't conclude that the build tools should be included
with a stock installation.

I think Derek is right in that developers are not "average users" and
frankly, if you're writing software, you should know how to get a
compiler installed on your chosen Linux.  I think it's really a
stretch to say that folks developing on Linux shouldn't need to have
some command of, well, Linux.

--
Chris

"George 'Macaca' Allen is like the place kicker that blew the winning
field goal at the Super Bowl.  He's why the Republicans lost control
of the Senate."