Giving up on Edgy

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sun Nov 19 09:04:20 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 22:59 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> Nonsense.
>
> Huh? What Scott said made perfect sense. (Although I agree that the
> Ubuntu website could be clearer on that)

Point being is that:

http://www.ubuntu.com/
JUST ANNOUNCED: Ubuntu 6.10, code named Edgy Eft, has been released with
many exciting new features. Visit the download page for CD images.
  http://www.ubuntu.com/news/610released
gives the impression that Edgy is a fully released and stable Ubuntu
version. It is not - or if it is, it should not be.

Edgy, for many, is an AOL coaster CD/download that can and *will*
destroy a perfectly good Dapper system and/or virgin system. Had my test
system not been fully backed up when I attempted my Dapper to Edgy
upgrade (and later full install) my system data would have been hosed.
Bottom line is that Edgy is buggy and IMHO should have never been
released, nor should it be promoted as the primary Ubuntu distro.

I fully support Dapper and Ubuntu. But I will *never* recommend Edgy in
it's current state. IMO Edgy is the Windows ME of Ubuntu.

Here, read for yourself from the Ubuntu 21 issue:

=== Ubuntu 6.10 reviews from around the web ===

Well, we had a release. As was to be expected, people reviewed it. As
we are somewhat popular, lots of people chimed in . Here is small
sampling of reviews we have seen.

Review: Ubuntu Edgy is nice, but not so edgy : "I was surprised to
find that Gnucash is not installed by default in Edgy, since the 2.0
release came out in July"

What Really Happened To Ubuntu's Edgy Artwork?

Edgy pushed me over the edge : "To be honest, I am not entirely
unhappy with having to run Breezy, even if I do still have a little
envy for those able to enjoy the bells and whistles of Edgy Eft."
"But, after my recent experience with Edgy I am more than happy to
stick with something a little less cutting edge and flashy. At least
for now."
URL:http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1266

Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" released : "Ubuntu 6.10, which includes the
freshly released Firefox 2.0, sports the new Tangerine theme, designed
to improve visual integration of the browser by making it better
conform to Ubuntu's style. Other visual improvements are featured as
well, including a new USplash startup screen that will provide better
support for a wider range of resolutions."

EXE HOME: UBUNTU 6.10 REVIEW : "Ubuntu is the first Linux distro I've
used and I have no plans to go anywhere else. It rivals Windows in
ease of use, and comes with a lot of features packed. I couldn't ask
for anything else."

Edgy upgrade pains and fixes : "For now, perhaps the best thing to do
with the Edgy Eft release is not upgrade your Ubuntu system. There are
simply too many problems to justify the move, at this point. Once the
fixes are in -- or at least well-documented ways to avoid the most
common problems are published -- then, and only then, will making a
move to Edgy Eft be a wise idea."

Upgrading to Ubuntu Edgy Eft a "Nightmare" :
Scott James Remnant, one of Ubuntu's lead evelopers, has post two blog
posts about various upgrading issues. You can read them at
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/10/30/automatix-and-upgrading
and
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/10/30/before-upgrading-to-edgy.

Linux Forums: Ubuntu 6.10 Review: "This is probably my biggest
disappointment: there are no 3D effects in Ubuntu 6.10. Of course, if
you have a look on the Internet, you'll see that installing and
setting them up for Edgy Eft is not hard at all, but considering how
much attention 3D effects are catching at the moment and the efforts
made by other distributions to integrate them by default, this seems
like a slap in the face. Were they considered trivial and
uninteresting? Why were they not on the agenda?" also "By default
Ubuntu won't play your multimedia files if they are encoded in an ugly
format. The reason for that is explained on their website and you'll
find a lot of information" "There are no graphical tools for accessing
Bluetooth devices but hcitool is installed by default so you can do
that from the command line." "I found the applet and configuration
tool for the network better in Mandriva 2007"

Upgrade to Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) - and a look back on the switch :
"Ubuntu/Linux has better support for my hardware (cardreaders [usb2]
are a lot faster, than with Windows, my Bluetooth adapter has more
functionality, and less trouble than with Windows, etc.)"

Ubuntu on the Desktop - My Experiences : "Contrary to some people's
experiences, the upgrade went very smoothly." "I have to say I didn't
notice much of a difference, except that after that first reboot, it
took a while for my Bluetooth mouse to be seen and start working, and
the first login seemed to take an age."

A Diehard SUSE User Tries Ubuntu 6.10 : "Other programs that aren't
loaded by default include XMMS, inkscape, or Bluefish. I use all of
these on a regular basis, but loading them through Synaptic is fairly
painless."

The Trouble with Ubuntu: "My printer and scanner still need resolving
under Ubuntu. This is mainly the manufacturer's fault (very few cater
for this rogue GNU/Linux) but if it wants to be like OS X in simple
driverless plug 'n' play, my non-obscure devices have to be catered
for easily!"