Giving up on Edgy

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 04:00:03 UTC 2006

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Yes, I did a clean install. Once would expect, however, that it wouldn't
> (or at least *SHOULDN'T*) be necessary. Ubuntu is Debian based, and
> Debian has often excused it's bad installer by pointing out that you
> only had to use it once, from then on, apt and dist-upgrade would do the
> job. On the Ubuntu website, they even say that a dist-upgrade was all
> that is needed.

In my case, I was lucky.  I did a distribution upgrade and met with
minimal problems.

> I didn't believe them, though ... I did a full install. Of course, that
> didn't give a clean system either.
I guess it might be a good idea to downgrade to 6.06 then, as NoOp has
suggested.  I've seen worst distributions out there.  I don't know about
now, but when I was with Fedora, things broke down all the time becos
the maintainers were constantly releasing buggy updates.   Ubuntu  is
one of the best distributions I've ever seen.