How to install printer Kubuntu?

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 14:13:02 UTC 2006

Ted Quick said the following on 11/16/2006 10:46 PM:
> --- Simon Bassett <spbasset at ptd.net> wrote:

>> there a

>>> That gives me "No Printers"
>>> Also when I try to print something the Print box appears and it says Printer Name "Default"
>>> When I click on the Properties button it say print command
>>> lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
>>> Ted Quick
>>>
>> If that gives no printers, it appears there are none setup. Try from the
>> konsole:
>>
>> sudo kcontrol
>>
>> then setup a printer from there.
>>

> When I do that it doesn't identify my HP 3745 Deskjet, it gives "ESP HP Color LaserJet Series PCL
> 6" as the only possible orinter.
>
> Ted Quick
> Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

Well. Why not try the lpadmin command. Linuxprinting.org say the HP 3745
is essentially the same as the HP 3840; the recommended driver is hpijs.
First, verify the ppd exists using lpinfo (my output listed with command
below:

$ lpinfo -m | grep 3840
hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_3840-hpijs.ppd HP DeskJet 3840 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) - HPLIP 0.9.7

If you don't see similar output, you need to get the correct ppd first
(use linuxprinting.org).

Add the printer using lpadmin like this:

$ sudo lpadmin -p HP-3745 -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_3840-hpijs.ppd -u allow:all

This assumes the printer is connected to the parallel port. If it's
connected differently, you'll need to change the argument to the -v
option. You can get a list of recognized ports using "lpinfo -v".

Everything going well? then...

$ lpr -P HP-3745 <sometestfile>

Did it print? If so, set the printer as default:

$ lpadmin -d HP-3745

If this doesn't seem to work, then we need to start looking at your cups
configuration.

Cheers
--
Mitch