ubuntu-kubuntu-xubuntu on one box

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Nov 16 21:40:56 UTC 2006

Chanchao wrote:
> I would do it only for a test system.  I've tried that with Xubuntu
> before, and indeed you get a lot of mess in your menus.. Xubuntu
> installs it's own terminal, it's own editor, its own file manager, etc,
> etc.
>
> Also your login manager / boot up process gets messy. It's anyone's
> guess if it will load showing 'Ubuntu' or 'Kubuntu' or 'Xubuntu'..

Unfortunately the boot list shows 'ubuntu' for everything (!) and you
can make edits later at file level.

An elegant way to proceed it to start with ubuntu, then after normal
updates, install (adept packages)
kubuntu-desktop
which brings down nearly 200 KDE related packages, and allows a
session choice at login.

I have done this, and also on another demonstration PC, have a number
of completely separate distros (includin gubuntu and kubuntu on the
same drive, each in its 5GB partition. They all use the same swap
partition easily. So I expect that a separate install (using manual
option of partitioning from a desktop live CD will work fine using
xubuntu. The graphics driver was a tease for me with xubuntu, so I
gave it a miss.

hth
--
ac