smb kernel support

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Nov 16 12:43:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 12:13 +0100, Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> What are the different kernels and capabilities available for 6.06 LTS?
>
> There is a 386, which is for uniprocessors only

Right

> These is a 686

Right

> There is a 686-smp

There is no kernel that is version 2.6.x AND 686 AND smp. The 686-smp
you see is version 2.4.x, which most people don't use anymore. See this
package search:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=smp&searchon=names&subword=1&version=dapper&release=all

Since 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake), the 2.6.x kernels that are compiled for
686 processors are for both uni- and multiprocessors

> There is a K7

Right

> There is a K7-smp

Again, only for version 2.4.x. Version 2.6.x has uni- and multiprocessor
support rolled into one (just as for the 686 processors), see
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/base/linux-image-2.6.15-27-k7

> How about the AMD64 line of kernels? I guess generic would do.

There is a amd64-k8 and a amd64-generic. Otherwise I have no idea, maybe
this helps:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=amd64&searchon=names&subword=1&version=dapper&release=all

> How about:
> * SMP capabilities?

See above

> * PAE capable (> 4 Gig ram for i386 range)?

I believe (but not sure) that you need the *-server variant for this:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/base/linux-image-2.6.15-27-server