ubuntu-kubuntu-xubuntu on one box

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu Nov 16 11:42:31 UTC 2006

David Symons spake thusly on 11/15/2006 09:43 PM:
> On 11/16/06, Anthony Yarusso <tonyyarusso at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Nikolai wrote:
>>> Did anybody try having these 3 on one box?
>> Yep, it's absolutely safe.
>
> No it isn't.  Having multiple *ubuntu-desktop packages can confuse the
> update-manager:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2006-October/009067.html
>
> Cheers, Dave.

That's if your doing a dist-upgrade.  Otherwise it's not been a problem
for me.

Not to mention, I pretty much ignore the update manager and simply

	$sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

at least once a day.

I've been running Linux (on and off) since 1999 and I've used several
different distributions and since I like both KDE and GNOME, I've never
run a distro without at least both of them at installed.

With that said, *buntu is rather unorthodox with regard to splitting
KDE, Xfce and GNOME into seperate somewhat distinct distributions.

The best answer might be to desice who's customizations you like the
most and then just add the other desktop environments by themselfs.

	Such as....

		Start with Ubuntu and add KDE and Xfce (without kubuntu-desktop and
xubuntu-desktop)
		Or Start with Kubuntu and add GNOME and Xfce (without ubuntu-desktop
and xubuntu-desktop).

Not to mention that's more like a traditional setup elsewhere anyway
(e.g. Debian, Fedora, SUSE, etc., etc.).

I started with ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop.  I've
got GNOME, KDE and Xfce installed right now.  I know I've eliminated at
least one of the metapackages already because it conflicted with a
change I made to something else later on.

--
	Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com