Intel i865 on-board video, any good ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Nov 15 00:28:56 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am investaging teh possibility of buying a motherboard with an Intel 865G chipset, which provide an intel graphics chip.
As I understand it (?), there is no binary driver for it, but rather Intel played fair with the Linux world, and there is a free Linux driver available.

One of my goals is to replace an ATI Radeon 9250 video card, so I would like know how the i865 video chip, under Linux, performs compared to the Radeon 9250, so I know if it's a viable alternative. I should stress that I there are huge differences in performance (4 times slower) with the Radeon 9250 when using the free driver as opposed to using the binary driver, so I would like the performance of the intel chip to be commented on when compared to the binary/efficient Radeon driver, not the free one...

Thanks for any feedback/experiences in this department ! :-)

--
Vince