[Ubuntu, no] has corrupted my file !

sebastien scamot2004 at gmx.at
Tue Nov 14 17:36:17 UTC 2006

Hi James ! Hi all ! What a wonderful support, that's amazing how
powerful the linux/ubuntu community is.

OK Now Im convinced that there is no link with Ubuntu by itself in my
problem. i then remove the word 'ubuntu' in the topic.

This full of badblocks FAT drive is only 2 years old, 120Gb. It's my
second drive. The other one contains the OS (6Gb), my /home (6Gb) and a
free partition (6Gb ext3).

It had been formatted in FAT because I wanted compatibility between win
and linux, at this time I was double-booting and did not know there
was a driver to read ext3 in win$ (that's the problem when you're a
newbee. When youre a win$ user, you do not learn anything and find
yourself stupid when a problem occurs cos there is no support, at the
opposite of linux). If I had known this driver, Id have installed it
and formatted in ext3 with no
doubt at all.

But the disk has been bulkly filled-up as is, and
1,5 year ago I switched 100% to ubuntu. Data in FAT32
remains.

A notice : I always found this drive very low (slow first access,
and browsing). It is definitely slower than my old 20Gb
disk. I cannot remember if it was faster with win or not.

Im excited to try to format it in ext3 to see the difference. But
that's a hard work when you've got such amount of data.

sc

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:17:53 +1100