MBR not valid after Dapper installation

Roland Englmann englmann at ikkf.de
Tue Nov 14 16:53:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

I installed Dapper Drake on an Acer TravelMate 290 (Pentium M 1,4 Ghz, 512 MB
RAM, 40 GB HDD) without any further complications. Booting for the first time
after installation stops after BIOS initialization, displaying the following
error:

"Hard disk boot sector invalid.
Press 'H' to retry hard disk. Any other key for floppy"

I cannot interpret this messages because beforehand the laptop was installed
with Windows 2K and booted without interruption. By pressing the "any other
key" :) the laptop boots grub (?) from CD (Dapper live cd). If "Boot from
hard disk" is chosen from the CD menu, the system comes up like expected from
a freshly installed box.

Any help out there? It's a company laptop, we just migrated the whole office
to linux (gentoo) and all laptops will be installed with kubuntu. You see, I
have some credits to loose for linux... :)

Oh, another thing: the system was installed using the graphical installer from
the live cd. It worked smoothly with three laptop installations before.

Really, any help is most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Roland