Disabling PC SPKR in Dapper?

GĂ©rard BIGOT gerard.bigot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:05:42 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:31:47 -0500
> "Ed Smits" <ed.smits at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with my PC speaker in Dapper - even though I haven't
> > enabled any system sounds in Sound Preferences I still seem to get the
> > annoying beeps etc. This is especially annoying in the XP VMWare guest
> > session - and that's set to not have any audio device and no Windows
> > system sounds.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to kill it completely? I seem to remember a
> > blacklist or something in modeprob.conf or something when I used to
> > run FC5, can't find the equivalent in ubuntu.
> >
> > Thanks. Not a big problem, just annoying.
>
> This doesn't disable the speaker permanently - but while in X ( GNOME,
> KDE, window manager) you can type this in a terminal to disable the
> system beep:
>
> xset b off
>
> In a tty / virtual terminal ( ctrl-alt- F1 to F6) you can type
>
> setterm -blength 0
>
> If you use gnome-terminal you can also set the "Terminal Bell" to off by
> un-ticking/un-checking it in the profile general preferences.
>
> To disable the system beep in GNOME, go to System - Preferences - Sound
> and under the "System Beep" tab un-check the "Enable System Beep" box.
>
> Whether any of this helps with vmware, I don't know ...
>
> Peter

the module that makes 'beep' in the kernel is pcspkr (as in 'PC speaker', I
guess).

That's the one that can be removed definitively with an entry in the
/etc/modprobe.d/ directory.

You can also use sudo rmmod pcspkr, in the console, for a temporary
solution.

In the old time, I used a nail cutter to cut the wire of the buzzer, but I
grow older and older...

G.