Disabling PC SPKR in Dapper?

Ed Smits ed.smits at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 15:31:47 UTC 2006

I have a problem with my PC speaker in Dapper - even though I haven't
enabled any system sounds in Sound Preferences I still seem to get the
annoying beeps etc. This is especially annoying in the XP VMWare guest
session - and that's set to not have any audio device and no Windows
system sounds.

Is there anything I can do to kill it completely? I seem to remember a
blacklist or something in modeprob.conf or something when I used to
run FC5, can't find the equivalent in ubuntu.

Thanks. Not a big problem, just annoying.

Ed
Burlington, Canada