Xen on Edgy

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:30:08 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 11:39 +0100, Jef Driesen wrote:
>> I understood that if you have a dualboot (windows/linux) and want to run
>> the existing windows installation inside a virtual machine on linux, you
>> need to create a new virtual machine and specify the already existing
>> physical windows partition as the disk image (rather than a true vmware
>> disk image). And I believe this is exactly what a raw disks means. But I
>> could be wrong of course.
>
> This is also what I understand. However I can't follow you from here to
> your original statement which was,
>
> "Has anyone tested this? Because on one of those pages [1], I read
> Windows XP is not support.
>
> [1] http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/disks_dualboot_ws.html "

I should have written "running Windows XP as guest from a raw disk is
not supported" there. But since I posted this to the ubuntu list, I
thought it was obvious I wanted to run Windows XP as guest on a Ubuntu host.

But it's still confusing to me. After they write this type of
configuration is not supported, they still show how to do it anyway...