file system check on boot

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 13 10:30:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:57:50 +0000
"Steve Flynn" <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/11/06, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 22:18 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
> >

> > > If the last field in this partition's entry in /etc/fstab is 0  (or
> > > doesn't exist) this partition will never checked at boot time.
> > Any idea how I can make it check every x reboots? I restart my laptop
> > all the time - so it's annoying waiting every time.
>

> You set the last field in the partitions entry in /etc/fstab to "x".

I think not :)

A quick search in "man fstab" reveals :
 "The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to  deter‐
       mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.
The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of  1,  and  other
       filesystems  should  have a fs_passno of 2

Googling " fsck frequency linux"  reveals as fourth hit

http://snow.nl/dist/htmlc/ch03s02.html

>From which:

"The frequency of the checks at system reboot can be changed with tune2fs.
This utility can also be used to  change the mount count, which will
prevent the system from having to check all filesystems at the 20th reboot
(which can take a long time)."

Turning to "man tune2fs" ( "  tune2fs - adjust tunable filesystem
parameters on ext2/ext3 filesystems " ) I find as an option:

" -c max-mount-counts
              Adjust the maximal mounts count between two  filesystem
checks. "

So it would seem that the tune2fs command is the place to look for this
adjustment option - although I have not had cause to use it myself.

Peter