Sound: no sound

Willis H Cook williscook at juno.com
Sat Nov 11 21:32:44 UTC 2006

Attn:  Daniel Chen

Daniel,

        Your last response to my intermittent sound problem was:  Looks
like an ACPI/BIOS issue.

        I have continued to explore this situation with peculiar results.
 Again, the sound started working.  I immediately captured the output of
aximer.  It begins like this:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Playback 0 - 63
   Mono:
   Front Left: Playback 63 [100%] [on]
   Front Right: Playback 63 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
   Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
   Mono:
   Front Left: Playback 22 [71%] [on]
   Front Right: Playback 22 [71%] [on]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 15
   Mono: 15 [100%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 15
   Mono: 15 [100%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on] . . . .
        As before, when I turned the machine off and back on, sound
disappeared.  This time the result of running amixer was:
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 15
   Mono: 15 [100%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Capture channels: Mono
   Limits: 0 - 15
   Mono: 15 [100%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
   Playback channels: Mono
   Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
   Capabilities: pvolume
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
   Mono:
   Front Left: Playback 25 [81%]
   Front Right: Playback 25 [81%]. . . .
        When sound doesn't work amixer doesn't even list controls for
Master, Master Mono or Headphone and the control for PCM is different,
showing two channels when, with sound working, it shows only one. It's as
if amixer reads two different configuration files.  If that's true, can
you tell me where these files are?  Can I delete all but the one that
works?  Please don't give up on me:  sound DOES work (sometimes) on this
machine.  Thanks.
        Sincerely,
        Willis Cook

        Willis