rsync for dummies (or how to rsync a dvd image from cdimage.ubuntu.com)?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 08:26:54 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Scott <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> drew einhorn spake thusly on 11/10/2006 06:45 PM:
> >
> > I live on a slow ISDN line, best I can get from Qworst.
>
> I didn't realize anybody had ISDN anymore (at least not in the US). DSL
> or Cable is almost always equal to or less than the cost of ISDN and
> much faster.

Hard to find a  telco worse than Qwest, hence Qworst.

> The HTTP URL to what you got (but via RSYNC) is
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/daily-live/20061025/edgy-live-i386.iso
>
> It's MD5 Hash is e8fb95d2f17699f31e660a5e530e2fe5 (if you want to see if
> were talking the same thing here with regard to what you downloaded).

That's it!

I'm thinking that perhaps the cdimage.ubuntu.com server doesn't offer
> rsync.  I know it's both HTTP and FTP as I've used it both ways before.
>
> Perhaps somebody else reading this has a bright idea. :-)

Try:

   rsync rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/

And you will see that it answers with a "sort of" directory listing.

then try:

  rsync rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/
  rsync rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/dvd/
  rsync rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/dvd/20061025/

Aha, now I see it. Let's add some options and the current directory to the
command line,
See: man rsync for the details

  rsync -vvPz rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/dvd/20061025/ .

doubling the -v gets extra verbose output.  The -P saves the partial result
if you have
to kill it because rsync is eating all your bandwidth and other folks need
to get
some work done, too!.

The -z compresses the traffic.  I need all the help I can get.

Another collection of options may make more sense for you.

--
Drew Einhorn