Tab completion has changed (dapper -> edgy).

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Nov 10 16:18:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 01:40:15PM +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2006-11-10, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
>
> >> When I upgraded to dapper I noticed some new "smarter" tab completion
> >> features, such as after "man ".  I just upgraded to edgy and this has
> >> disappeared.  Have I misconfigured something?  Can I get it back?
> >
> > Uncomment the bash_completion line in your ~/.bashrc
>
> My ~/.bashrc is a big one I've been carrying around for a while, but I
> found the lines in question
>
> #if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
> #    . /etc/bash_completion
> #fi
>
> in /etc/bash.bashrc and put them in my personal one.

Ah, yes.  My .bashrc was the one Ubuntu's adduser copied from /etc/skel,
so I had those lines in place, just commented out.

> Thanks for pointing that out.  This must have been set as a
> system-wide default in dapper but not in edgy, right?

I do not think they have ever been enabled system-wide by default, but
maybe you had modified your /etc/bash.bashrc, and the upgrade replaced
it with a new version.  (If that's the case, you should find a
/etc/bash.bashrc.dpkg-old file with your modifications.)

Marius Gedminas
--
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?