Xen on Edgy

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 10:09:09 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 22:41 +0100, Nils wrote:
> >> Currently I have Dapper and XP on this computer and I would like to
> >> use the Win Partition, which is already setup with Xen, but I have no
> >> idea if and how this would work..
> >>
> > I have no idea about Xen, but vmware Workstation lets you boot the same
> > windows partition within and without the virtual machine:
> > http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/disks_profiles_ws.html
>
> Has anyone tested this? Because on one of those pages [1], I read
> Windows XP is not support.
>
> [1] http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/disks_dualboot_ws.html

I wouldn't even try booting the same Windows OS natively and under
VMware. Although Windows does support ACPI, the truth is that some
drivers and components may be different when running in native mode
and under VMware.

One of those components is HAL. HAL is different depending on whether
you are running under SMP or with a single processor. In fact, I think
it's pretty tricky to replace HAL when you change from UP to SMP.