new to ubuntu; have a few questions

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Nov 9 21:51:05 UTC 2006

Dwain Alford wrote:

> On 11/9/06, *Cybe R. Wizard* <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
> <mailto:cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net>> wrote:
>
>     To the original poster, though, and to Mark, the object is to keep that
>     power /out/ of the hands of a lowly user and only in administrative
>     hands.  In the case of a home user those hands are yours. As the first
>     user you /do/ have the administrative power you want/ are used to, you
>     just have to exercise it differently.
>
> so it seems that there is no way to make myself permanent root outside
> of the command line. (man what an education and crash course in linux!)
> for me to have the control i need,

yes there is, if you enable the (initially disabled) root account to
log in as root. But if you do there are no warning fences to remind
that you are very near to the cliff edge, and it can be a bit foggy!

>  then i have to allow all to have wrx
> on the second hdd that is resting quite comfortably in my file system?
>
> i beginning to understand the security linux has over windows, even
> though it gets in the way sometimes.
>
> on the file system volume i can open all directories, even the lost and
> found directory.  i can't open the l&f directory on the other volume,
> because i don't have permission.  all i need to do is be able to have
> unlimited control on that volume, which is now a directory.  i need to
> copy some directories from a cd to the volume and i'm set to go.
>
> i thought it was strange that the disk didn't show in the left pane of
> places/computer as a separate drive, but does in the right pane, but had
> to be routed through the file system to be read.
>

> once i get this issue solved, i'll be ok.  i can live with the rest of
> the security measures; i like them better than windows.  long live
> linux! (not bad for a newbie, huh?)

another command to look at is chmod

either google or man chmod

I think(??) that the following will make the file junkfile accessible
to all for any action

(terminal)

sudo chmod 777 /junkfile

(others please comment?)

thinks - doesn't the filesytem contained within junkfile have some
bearing on this too. What if it is a mounted vfat partition? They have
problems with the sophisticated linux permissions.

--
ac